My grandmother used to make this preserved lemon pickle. I have found that when this pickle is ready to use, you can just add pickle masala to make spicy one or add jaggery powder and pickle masala to make a sweet & spicy instant pickle.
12 key limes, cut into halves
2" ginger, peeled & slivered
1 or 2 fresh lemons, squeezed
1. Rinse, clean and air dry lemons. Cut them into halves.
2. Take a clean & dry glass bottle.
3. Add salt at the bottom.
4. Layer with lemon halves, then ginger , salt and lemon juice.
5. Add more lemon juice in the end so the lemon pieces are covered with lemon juice.
6. Close the lid. Keep in a sunny window. Keep shaking every day.
7. The pickle will be ready in about a week.
1. Refrigerate after it's ready to increase the shelf life.