Green Tomato Methamba
हिरव्या /कच्च्या टोमटो चा मेथांबा
Green Tomato Instant Pickle
6 green/raw tomatoes, sliced
salt to taste
2 tbsp grated jaggery (add more if you like)
1 tsp paprika or mild chili powder
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1. Add oil to a saucepan. Splutter all the tempering ingredients.
2. Add sliced green tomatoes. Saute for 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover and let the tomatoes cook.
3. After tomatoes are cooked - but not mushy - add all the remaining ingredients.
4. Switch off the gas.
5. Serve it as an accompaniment with any Indian meal.
1. Methamba is traditionally made with raw mangoes. But my mom makes methamba with red tomatoes as well as carrots. Green tomato Methamba was my mom's idea.
2. If you like it sweeter version, increase the amount of jaggery.