Thursday, November 3, 2011

Green Tomato Methamba - green tomatoes sweet pickle

When I get the bountiful harvest of green tomatoes, I am eager to try many green/raw tomato recipes. After trying most of them, I was still left with 6 green tomatoes. I called mom and asked for ideas. Mom advised me to make Methamba. Generally methamba is made with green mangoes. Mom even makes methamba with red, ripe but firm tomatoes. But I liked mom's idea of green tomato methamba. When it was ready, it was slightly tarter than red tomato methamba. You can always adjust the jaggery proportion based on the tartness of green tomatoes but I loved this pickle. Store it in the refrigerator and use it within 3-4 days. This pickle does not have a long shelf life.

Green Tomato Methamba
हिरव्या /कच्च्या टोमटो चा   मेथांबा
Green Tomato Instant Pickle
6 green/raw tomatoes, sliced
salt to taste
2 tbsp grated jaggery (add more if you like)
1 tsp paprika or mild chili powder

1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder

1. Add oil to a saucepan. Splutter all the tempering ingredients.
2. Add sliced green tomatoes. Saute for 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover and let the tomatoes cook.
3. After tomatoes are cooked - but not mushy - add all the remaining ingredients.
4. Switch off the gas.
5. Serve it as an accompaniment with any Indian meal.

Note -
1. Methamba is traditionally made with raw mangoes. But my mom makes methamba with red tomatoes as well as carrots. Green tomato Methamba was my mom's idea.
2. If you like it sweeter version, increase the amount of jaggery.

Print Page


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs