I had green beans thoran at my aunt's place for the first time. I had not eaten green beans made this way before. I instantly loved this dish for its coconuty flavor. It reminded me of my grandma's upkari but this thoran had onion and garlic too.
I try to reduce coconut, however some coconut is definitely needed to enjoy the flavor of this dish. So do not omit coconut completely.
Green Beans Thoran
Green Beans Casserole - Kerala style
1 lb frozen, cut green beans
salt to taste
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp urad daal
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
2-3 cloves of garlic, sliced
2-3 red chilies, halved
2-3 sprigs of curry leaves, torn
1/4 cup freshly scraped coconut
1. Heat oil in a saucepan.
2. Add all the seeds, chilies, daal and curry leaves.
3. Keep on sauteing till urad daal changes its color. Do not let it burn. Add garlic slivers. Saute for 1 minute.
4. Add shallots. Saute for about 5 minutes, till soft.
5. Add frozen green beans. Keep on sauteing till they appear to be thawed.
6. Cover and let it cook to the desired crunchiness.
7. Add salt and mix together.
8. Stir in coconut and black pepper powder.
9. Serve hot or warm.
1. I used frozen, cut green beans for this recipe. I do not bother to thaw it. You can thaw it if you like.
Fresh green beans can also be used. Cook the beans accordingly.
2. If you do not have shallots, use regular onions.