Sunday, November 20, 2011

Chunky Monkey Waffles

I just do not know how it happens every time, but I land up having overripe bananas every so often. I am really tired of baking banana breads. So I decided to use them in the waffles. To make them healthier, I decided to add flax powder, almond butter, walnuts. When the batter was ready, I wasn't sure if the waffles would come out okay. But they did, and hence I have decided to blog these waffles here.

The basic recipe is inspired from the waffle recipe at the back of the Trader Joe's Multi grain baking and pancake mix.

Chunky Monkey Waffles
Inspired from Trader Joe's Pancake Mix
2 cups Trader Joe's Multi grain baking and pancake mix
2 overripe bananas, peeled & mashed with a fork
2 egg whites
2 tbsp flax powder
2 tbsp Almond butter
few drops of vanilla extract
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp chocolate chips
2 tbsp walnut bits
skim milk as needed

Oil spray for greasing the waffle iron

Suggested Accompaniment
Maple Syrup
Agave Nectar
or Honey

1. Preheat the waffle iron.
2. Mix all the ingredients to make a waffle batter.
3. Grease the waffle iron.
4. Cook per the waffle iron instructions.
5. Serve with syrup of your choice or agave nectar or honey

1. I used setting 3 for my waffles
2. This proportion gave me about 8 waffles. After serving the waffles, I froze the remaining waffles. They came pretty handy for an impromptu breakfast later.

Print Page


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs