Chana daal amti is one more Malvani delicacy. Many times, I feel that Malvani cuisine is wrongly associated with only non vegetarian food. There are many vegetarian delicacies which are truly lipsmacking. Of course, being a seafood lover myself, I won't deny that Malvani seafood curries rule but I just want to share these equally delicious vegetarian curries.
ChaNyachya DaaLichi Amti
चण्याच्या डाळीची आमटी
Chana Daal Curry
1/2 cup chana daal, soaked in water for 1 hour
15 -20 raw, unsalted cashew pieces, soaked in water for 1 hour
2 tbsp fresh coconut pieces/khobryachya kaatLya
2 tsp grated jaggery
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp tamarind paste
Roast one after the other
1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
5 - 7 black peppercorn
3 - 4 cloves
4-5 red chilies
1/2 cup dry coconut/suka khobra
1 tbsp poppy seeds/khuskhus
1. Drain soaked chana daal and cashews. Add them into a saucepan along with fresh coconut pieces and turmeric powder. Add 1/4 cup water. Let it cook without letting daal turn into a mush.
2. Roast all the spices and coconut one after the other. After coconut has turned deep brown, add poppy seeds to the roasted coconut, and roast again for 5 minutes. Do not let it burn.
3. Grind all the roasted spices and coconut adding tamarind and enough water to make a fine paste.
4. Add ground masala paste to cooked daal. Add enough water to adjust the consistency. Add salt and jaggery.
5. Bring to boil. After boiling, simmer the curry for few minutes.
6. Switch off the gas and serve with rice bhakri or plain rice.
1. Roast the spices and coconut on a medium low heat without letting them burn. Roast them till each spice emits it wonderful aroma.