Saturday, November 5, 2011
You get to see delicious winter vegetables in the markets of Mumbai around November - December time. Juicy red Delhi carrots and fresh garlic greens are two such vegetables. My grandma made pickle and salad using these two speciality vegetables.
Gajar - Olya lasniche LoNche
गाजर - ओल्या लसणीचे लोणचे
Carrot - Garlic Greens Pickle
1 1/2 cup peeled, diced carrots
4-5 stalks of fresh garlic, mince greens and cloves, remove thread like parts on the cloves
salt to taste
1 tbsp chili powder
1 or 2 lemon
1/4 cup oil
3/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1. Wash and dry the vegetables.
2. Dice the peeled carrots uniformly. Mince the garlic greens and cloves.
3. Mix them together adding salt, chili powder and lemon.
4. In a small saucepan, heat oil. As it gets hot, add the tempering ingredients. As it sizzles, switch off the gas and let it cool down completely.
5. After the tempered oil reaches room temperature and is no longer hot, pour it over the carrot mixture.
6. Mix well and serve
7. Refrigerate any unused pickle. Use within 4 days.
1. Do not substitute regular, dry garlic. This pickle is meant for fresh garlic greens and cloves.
2. This is an instant pickle with no shelf life. You can refrigerate the unused portion and use within 4 days.
3. Adjust salt, lemon juice and chili powder to your liking. But pour enough lemon juice so tempered oil and lemon juice will give it a nice pickle like consistency.Print Page