Sunday, November 13, 2011

Bajrichi UsaL



I have blogged earlier about Millet UsaL which I made with millets from Whole foods. Now I have the real Indian Bajri . So I decided to make bajrichi usaL. I called mom and she warned me that it takes time to sprout the bajri before proceeding. So I patiently soaked the bajri grains for 24 hours, drained and it took about 6 more hours to sprout. Bajri is considered good for health during cold, winter season.

Bajrichi UsaL
बाजरीची उसळ
Finger Millet Stir Fry
Ingredients
1 cup dry bajri/bajra - soaked for 24 hours, and then sprouted
salt to taste
pinch of sugar
1/4 cup daaNyache KooT/roasted, unsalted, powdered peanuts (optional)

Tempering
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
3-4 green chilies

Garnish
Lemon wedges
sev/shev
A generous pinch of chaat masala

Method
1. Soak bajri for 24 hours. Drain and cover and keep in a colander. Keep in a warm place to sprout. It may take about 6 hours. Do keep a check so it doesn't get slimey.
2. Heat oil in a pressure pan. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
3. As they splutter, add bajri sprouts and 1 cup water. Close the lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
4. Let the pressure release of its own. Add peanut powder, salt, sugar.
5. Let it simmer so all the water is evaporated.
6. Serve in individual plates, garnish with lemon wedges, coconut, sev and a generous pinch of chaat masala.

Note -
1. Bajrichi UsaL served with sev and chaat masala almost tastes like a Gujarati ponk or Marathi Hurda.
2. Peanut powder is optional. I added it because I had it and I thought it tasted good.
3. When I made this usal without pressure pan, it took quite a while for Bajri to get cooked so next time, I used pressure pan.



Print Page

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs