When we had been to Ram Nayak's udipi Shrikrishna, the sweet du jour was "Rava Payas". I ate it after a long time. So after coming back home here, I decided to make it.
Ravyachi Kheer/Rava Payas
1/4 cup fine rawa/semolina
1 tbsp sajook toop/clarified butter
4 cups milk (use whole, organic for richer taste)
3/4 cup sugar (use more or less per taste)
4-5 green cardamoms, peeled & powdered
1. Heat ghee/toop/clarified butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
2. Roast fine rava or semolina on a low flame till it is pinkish in color. Do not let it burn.
3. Add milk and sugar. Bring to boil on a medium flame while stirring. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add crushed cardamoms.
5. Serve warm.
1. Use whole milk for richer taste.
2. Do not let rawa burn.
3. Do not simmer it for a long time as it shouldn't turn into sheera!;-)