Monday, October 17, 2011

Methiche Ladoo

I always avoided them. They were bitter. But after Gudiya was born, when my mom and mom-in-law told me how important these Methi Ladoo are, I started eating them. Methi - or fenugreek seeds are said to increase the milk supply for the new moms. Even the lactation consultant had recommended using the fenugreek capsules from Whole Foods.

I have observed one more thing within my Marathi and Gujarati family. Maharashtrians make Methiche ladoo, Gujaratis make Methi Paank. Maharashtrians make Dinkache Ladoo, Gujaratis make Gundar Paank. I was fortunate to get pampered by both ladoos and paanks!! Ladoos are spherical balls, paanks are flat squares or diamonds like barfies.

Methi ladoos are also known to help with backaches. I was fortunate to learn this Methi Ladoo recipe from my 91 year old grand aunt, during our last India visit. Please note that expectant moms are not supposed to eat these ladoos. Only after child birth, these laddoos are recommended.

Methi che Ladoo
मेथी चे लाडू
Fenugreek Seeds Balls
2 cup fenugreek seeds/methi powder
2 cups wheat flour (I used 1 3/4 cups wheat flour  + 1/4 cup flax powder)
1 cup ghee/clarified butter/sajook toop
1 1/2  -  2 cups grated jaggery
1/2 cup walnut + almond + dry dates/kharik powder

1. Heat 1/2 of the clarified butter in a heavy bottomed pan. fry fenugreek powder on a low flame. Set aside.
2. Add remaining ghee. Fry wheat flour on a low flame. Set aside.
3. Heat another heavy bottomed saucepan. Add jaggery powder and 1/2 cup water. Let it melt on a low flame. When bubbles start to appear, take off the heat. Add all the roasted powders, flours, nuts powder. Mix well.
4. Grease your hands with ghee. When it is okay to knead the dough, roll into uniform ladoos.

Note -
1. Above mixture gave me about 15 ladoos. This count will vary depending on the size of the ladoos.

Print Page


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs