Tuesday, October 18, 2011
These simple veggie crisps go very well with plain rice, dalitauy, nonche and upkari.
Faggila and or Gonytya Phodi
4 - 5 parwars/gonyta
4 - 5 Kantole/FaggiL
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp chili powder
salt to taste
1 1/2 tbsp rice flour + 1/2 tbsp fine rava
A pinch of salt
Oil for shallow frying
1. Rinse and cut both ends of the veggies.
2. Cut parwars into 4 slivers. Cut kantola into 4 slices
3. Marinate with salt, turmeric powder, asafoetida and chili powder.
4. Heat an iron tawa/pan. Add oil - preferably coconut oil
5. Mix rice flour and rawa with salt. Dredge marinated veggies, one piece at a time. Remove excess flour mixture.
6. Place the veggies in the oil carefully.
7. Shallow fry turning once till veggies are cooked. Drain on a kitchen absorbent paper.
1. Only rice flour or only rawa can also be used. But rice flour makes it crispy and rawa adds a nice texture.
2. For an authentic taste, use coconut oil for frying.
3. Serve with plain rice, daaLitauy and any konkani upkari.