Saturday, October 22, 2011

Chakkuli (1) - Moong Daal Chakli

Diwali is just around the corner. I generally make 5 Diwali snacks each year. Ever since, I have started blogging, I see to it that these 5 snacks are different than last year. This year, I made my grandmother's chakkuli. It is a Konkani version of Chakli. My grandmother's proportion is given below my version. I made 1/4th of it. It still gave me 4 dozens chakkulis.

Chakkuli - (4 dozen count)
1/4 cup yellow moong daal (without skin)
1/2 cup water

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour/maida
1/2 tbsp white butter/I used hot oil instead

1/2 tsp cumin seeds
salt to taste

Vegetable oil for deep frying.

1. Pick and rinse moong daal. Add double amount of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
2. Tie all purpose flour in a muslin cloth or a clean handkerchief. Tie a knot. Place in a cooker container. Pressure cook for 1 whistle.
3. When it cools down, break any lumps in all purpose flour, using clean and dry hands.
4. Mix the flour with cooled, cooked daal, add cumin seeds, butter or hot oil.
5. Knead into a smooth dough.
6. Grease chakli mould/saacha. Roll out smallish chaklis. Keep them apart on  a clean , dry plate. Let them dry out for 10 minutes.
7. Heat oil for frying.
8. Deep fry chaklies in a single layer. Do not over-crowd the kadai.
9. Drain on a kitcehn absorbent paper.
10. Let them cool down completely.
11. They get crispy as they get cooled. Store in an airtight container.

Note -
My Grandma's proportion
6 cups all purpose flour
1 cup moong daal

2. My grandmother and aunt would recommend, cooking moong daal for 2 whistles and maida for 1 whistle. But I pressure cooked them together to save on time and fuel.

3. My grand aunt used the same recipe, but used rice flour instead of all purpose flour.

Print Page


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs