Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tadka ma sukhaveli Guvar - Sun dried cluster beans



My cluster beans plant produced a very good harvest. After making the usual bhajis, upkaris and shaaks, I decided to make the sun-dried version. I remembered eating this in Gujarati restaurants in Mumbai. My MIL shared her version here.

We had a sweltering summer here. But making sun-dried items always remain a challenge for me. I always worry that just in case if it rains, then I won't even know as I would be in the office and all my sun dried items will need to be thrown away. So I checked the weather channel every morning before placing my cluster beans outside for drying. I was happy with the result.

Please note that these sun dried beans do have their unique, bitterish taste.

Tadka ma sukhaveli guvar
Sun dried Cluster Beans
Ingredients
20-25 cluster beans

Mix
1/2 cup plan yogurt (preferably sour)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp asafoetida
salt to taste
1/2 tsp ajwain/ajmo/owa/ajowan/carron seeds
1/2 tsp milk chili powder (optional)

Method
1. Rinse cluster beans and dry them completely.
2. Mix yogurt mixture.
3. Dip few cluster beans in the yogurt mixture, at a time and spread on a steel tray with a good distance between each cluster beans.
4. Keep outside to dry in the sun for 2 days. Take inside home at night.
5. When the cluster beans seem completely dry, again make a new mixture of yogurt using the same proportions. Repeat steps 4 & 5.
6. The cluster beans should be totally dried. Their yogurt coating may come off in the end. Store in a dry, airtight container.
7. While serving, deep fry the cluster beans and serve immediately.

Note
1. check the weather and make this delicacy. There should not be moisture in the air.
2. After frying these beans, serve immediately. If kept for a long time, they may not taste good.
3. They have a unique bitterish taste of cluster beans.
4. Before frying, make sure that the cluster beans are totally dry and there is no moisture left. Do not over crowd while frying. It tends to splutter while frying and gets fried quickly. So do not let it burn and take utmost care.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs