Green Amaranth Stir Fry
1 bunch hirwa maaTh/pokLa/green amaranth, cleaned, rinsed, roughly chopped
salt to taste
4 - 5 garlic cloves
3 - 4 green chilies
A pinch of salt
1 tbsp oil
Pounded chili-garlic paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp fresh coconut (optional)
1. Clean, rinse and chop green amaranth leaves.
2. Pound garlic and green chilies, adding a pinch of salt.
3. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add turmeric powder and pounded chili-garlic paste
4. Saute for 2 minutes.
5. Add chopped amaranth.
6. Sprinkle water as needed. Cover with a lid. Keep water on the lid.
7. Let it cook on a medium flame. Stir from time to time to make sure that it doesn't stick or burn.
8. When cooked, add salt as needed - remember a pinch of salt is added to chili-garlic paste. So adjust accordingly. Garnish with coconut - if using.
9. Serve with chapati or bhakri along with Thecha.
1. If possible, use stone mortar and pestle for pounding green chilies and garlic.