"Food for me was a connecting link to my grandmother, to my childhood, to my past. And what I found out is that for everybody, food is a connector to their roots, to their past in different ways. It gives you security; it gives you a profile of who you are, where you come from." - Lidia Matticchio Bastianich
Daal made from these laal vaal of Valsad is simply called laal vaal ni daal. MIL makes a dry side dish with this daal. It is served, garnished with finely chopped red onion, finely cut green chilies and raw peanut oil. Add these garnishes just before serving. This recipe is similar to Surti Mag.
Laal Vaal ni Daal
1 cup laal vaal ni daal soaked for 2 hrs
salt to taste
1 tsp mild chili powder
1/2 tsp dhana jiru/coriander-cumin powder
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp minced onion
1 - 2 green chilies, minced
1 tsp Gujarati sambhaar/Pickle masala
1 tsp raw peanut oil
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add the tempering ingredients. Fry till garlic is golden brown.
2. Add drained vaal daal along with 2 tbsp water and salt. Let it cook by partially covering it. add spoonful of water from time to time to avoid sticking.
3. Stir in the remaining ingredients after daal is cooked
4. Just before serving, add some garnish in the individual servings.
1. Do not forget to cover the pot partially when daal is cooking. We do not want a mush but each daal should retain its shape.