While mom's gawar-batata (cluster beans & potato) always has onion in it, her gawar - bhopLa (cluster beans & red pumpkin) has peanut powder (daaNyache kooT) & sesame powder. It is generally made during "shraddha" - time to pay respects to the departed souls.
Cluster beans with red pumpkin
2 cups cluster beans, cut/torn by hand into 2" pieces
1 cup red pumpkin chunks
salt to taste
2 tbsp unsalted, roasted peanut powder
1 tbsp roasted sesame powder
1 tsp jaggery
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 tbsp goda masala
1 tbsp freshly scraped coconut
1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add tempering. Saute goda masala for 2minutes.
2. Now, add cluster beans and pumpkin. Saute and add 2 tbsp water.
3. Cover with a lid and pour water on the lid.
4. Let it cook on a medium flame.
5. Now, add salt, jaggery, peanut powder and sesame powder, chili powder.
6. Simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Garnish with coconut.
1. Butternut squash can be substituted instead of red pumpkin.