Thursday, September 29, 2011

Exotic Cupcakes(1) - Mango Cupcake

I got a unique opportunity to bake cupcakes for a local charity event recently. It had an international flavor. I had signed up for the dessert portion. I always like to know the taste range of the people I am cooking or baking. But here, there was no way of knowing it. I decided to go "American Desi" way. I wanted to make something with the best of both of my beloved countries - India & America. I decided to make cupcakes with a distinct Indian flavor. That's how these exotic cupcakes were created.

It might have been a small scale project for a professional baker, but for an amateur one like me, it was a daunting task. I baked the cupcakes in the morning. Let them cool down completely and frosted them at night. I then kept them in the covered container in the refrigerator. When my husband transported them successfully to the event, I heaved a sigh of relief.

The first one in this series was Mango Cupcake. I am hoping to share all of my creations on my blog soon.

Mango Cupcake - 24 cupcakes
1 packet Betty Crocker Yellow cake box
1 cup mango pulp (I used Ratna brand from Indian stores)
3 tbsp water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs

1/2 tub Betty Crocker Vanilla frosting
1 tbsp mango pulp


1. Preheat oven to 350 F as recommended on the back of the box.
2. Mix cake mix with mango pulp, oil and eggs. Using electric mixer, mix to make batter. Add spoonful of water at a time. You may need about 3 tbsp.
3. Grease the cupcake holders. Pour the cake batter.
4. Bake for about 16-18 minutes or as recommended on the back of the box.
5. Take the cupcakes out.
6. Let them cool down completely.
7. Mix ready made cake frosting with mango pulp. Frost using frosting/cake decorating gun.

Note -
1. Betty Crocker cake mix calls for 1 cup water. I substituted it for 1 cup mango pulp. Please note that since their consistencies are different, I had to use about 3 tbsp water. Use spoonful at a time to get the correct batter consistency.
2. Instead of using piping bag/decorating gun, you can use a ziploc bag and snip off a corner and frost the cupcake.
3. Instead of using mango pulp in the frosting, you could use just yellow food color drops if you do not want to have an overwhelming mango flavor.

A batch of Mango Cupcakes


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs