Thursday, August 18, 2011
Taro roots are also known as arvi/arbi. This is a simple stir fry using Taro roots. If you plant these bulbs, you can also grow your own taro/colcalsia/ALu leaves.
Taro Roots Stir fry
3-4 medium taro roots, scrubbed, scraped, chopped into shoe strings
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil (preferably coconut oil)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
2-3 red chilies, halved
1 tbsp freshly scraped coconut
1. Heat oil preferably in iron kadhai/wok. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
2. As they splutter, add chopped root vegetables.
3. Stir fry for 15 - 20 minutes till cooked and crispy.
4. Add salt to taste.
5. Garnish with coconut
1. Taro roots can be slippery while peeling or chopping. Be careful!
2. Traditionally, turmeric powder is not used for talasani. But you can use it if you like.