Tuesday, August 2, 2011
Addition of ripe yet not overripe bananas to the spicy dishes covers the entire gamut of the taste buds. Gujarati home cooks excel in this tongue tickling magic. If you are not sure of the result, you can always play safe and substitute raw banana. But for savoring the flavors of Gujarat, do try these unique fritters.
Paaka KeLa na Bhujiya
1 ripe banana (not over ripe)
salt to taste
1/4 cup besan/chickpea flour
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp ginger-green chili paste
1 tsp hot oil or a pinch of baking soda
Vegetable oil for frying
1. Peel and cut bananas in circles.
2. Whisk chickpea flour with all the ingredients except vegetable oil for frying.
3. Add water to make a thick batter - of pancake batter consistency. It should coat the banana roundels evenly.
4. Heat oil for deep frying. Pour a spoonful in the batter or add a pinch of baking soda.
5. Deep fry banana fritters turning over to get fried uniformly.
1. Banana should be ripe but not over-ripe for this recipe.
2. Since this could be an acquired taste, you can substitute raw banana instead of ripe one if you are not sure of the outcome.