Thursday, August 11, 2011
I recently ate this "shaak" at my in-laws place. I usually make marcha batakanu shaak but addition of eggplant made it even better.
Marcha Vengan nu Shaak
Bell peppers with eggplants
1/2 red bell pepper, stem/seeds removed, sliced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, stem/seeds removed, sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, stem/seeds removed, sliced
1/2 orange bell pepper, stem/seeds removed, sliced
2 -3 small or 1/2 big eggplant, sliced
1/2 red onion, peeled & sliced
1/2 tsp Gujarati Garam Masala
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp coriander-cumin powder/dhana jiru
2 tsp jaggery
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1. Heat oil in a nonstick kadai/wok. Add the tempering ingredients
2. As the seeds splutter, add onion, peppers and eggplant slices. Keep on sauteing till they are soft.
3. Add salt, jaggery, chili powder, garam masala and coriander-cumin powder.
4. Keep on sauteing till veggies are coated with the masala.
5. serve with hot fulkas/rotlis/chapatis
1. This recipe is a variation of Marcha bataka nu shaak and Baingan Simla Mirch Subzi. So you can also add potato slices if you like.