Monday, August 1, 2011
I like my MIL's addition of "vadis" in the simple stir fries. It provides good proteins to the overall meal.
Bhinda-Vadi nu Shaak
Stir Fried Okra
2 cups chopped okra
1/4 cup vadies
1 tsp mild chili powder
2 tsp coriander - cumin seed powder/dhana jiru
1 tsp sugar or to taste
salt to taste
1 tsp oil for frying vadies
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Fry vadies in spoonful of oil. Put immediately in a bowlful of water to soak.
2. Heat oil in a kadhai/pan/wok. Add tempering ingredients.
3. As they splutter, add cut okra. Cover with a lid and let it cook.
4. As okra becomes soft, add salt, sugar, mild chili powder and coriander-cumin powder.
5. Add soaked vadies without adding water.
6. Cover and let it cook for 5- 7 minutes
7. Drizzle lemon juice.
1. Instead of covering, you can add more water and make the okra crispy.
2. You can add vadies made from yellow moong daal or chora ni daal or both.