Mom makes a simple stir fry adding onion, green chilies and coconut. Not adding too many spices, retains the original flavor of this vegetable.
VaaLutalya Methichi Bhaaji
वाळूतल्या मेथीची भाजी
Fenugreek Leaves Stir Fry
Bunches of VaaLutli Methi or samudra methi (as your vegetable vendor gives you)
salt to taste
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 cup chopped onion
2-3 green chilies, slit
2 tbsp freshly scraped coconut
1. Cut the roots from the bands attached to each bunch of methi.
2. Wash the greens thoroughly as it tends to have lots of sandy soil. Rinse in several changes of water.
3. Heat oil in a kadhai. Add the tempering ingredients.
4. As the onion gets soft, add chopped fenugreek leaves.
5. Sprinkle some water. Cover with a lid. Pour some water on top of the lid.
6. Let it cook on medium heat.
7. Add salt after the greens are cooked.
8. Garnish with fresh coconut.
1. Soak greens after cutting from the roots. There will be sand at the bottom. Drain and repeat the procedure till all the sand is gone.