Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Prakash's vadas

I have been going back to Mumbai fairly regularly in the past ten years. Every time, I have a different list of things to do. But one thing remained constant  and yet, always got skipped. It was watching a Marathi Naatak - drama! There are many wonderful drama theatres in Mumbai from Yashwant rao ChavanPratishthan in South Mumbai, Ravindra Natya Mandir in Prabhadevi, Shivaji Mandir in Dadar, Rangsharda in Bandra and Dinanath Mangeshkar Natyagruha in Vileparle. I have seen wonderful plays from my childhood like Achat gavchi afat mavshi, Durga zaali Gauri, Moruchi Mavshi, Tarun Turka mhatare arka, Aai retire hote, Va.Pu's katha kathan, Pu.La's Kavyavachan and many more.

So this year, when I told my parents that I definitely looked forward to watching a Marathi drama, they booked the tickets immediately. I got an opportunity to watch "Saare Pravasi Ghadiche" at Shivaji Mandir. It was a wonderful play by Shafaut Khan based on Jayavant Dalvi's novel. It's a story about  - Apu who is away from his - village. He is now settled in Mumbai and when he visits back to his roots, he remembers the events and happenings of his chidhood. I guess, in a way, I was doing the same - except I am now settled in United States and my roots are in Mumbai.

Well, I have watched many plays in Shivaji Mandir, but one thing never changed and that was eating batata vada in the interval. However, when we watched this play, the timing was such that I was full. I didn't even have an iota of space to gulp down my favorite batata vada. and the theatre (rightfully) does not allow to take food back in the auditorium. So I actually skipped the vada!! Even I can't believe it.

After the play, we decided to go to my another favorite place- Prakash to have a cup of tea. I got vadas packed for eating later at home. I also got some dudhi vadis and gajar vadis. (bottle gourd and carrot sweets). Life's good. :-D


LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs