1/2 cup sour yogurt
salt to taste
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp eno fruit salt or baking soda
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp water or thin buttermilk
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp sesame seeds
2-3 green chilies, chopped finely (optional)
1/4 cup fresh coconut, scraped (optional)
1. Mix besan with sour yogurt till no lumps are formed. It will have a consistency of sour cream or shrikhand.
2. Add turmeric powder, asafoetida and ginger-garlic-green chilie paste. Mix.
5. Add salt and sugar to the fermented mixture.
8. Pour the fermented mixture to the greased container. Cover.
9. Steam on a full flame for 10 minutes. Switch the gas to medium and steam for another 15 -20 minutes.
10. Take the dhokla container out. Remove the lid. Let it cool down completely.
2. Eno Fruit salt is available at the Indian stores. Check the expiration date.
3. If you need to divide the batter in two batches, you need to divide the eno/baking soda mixture in two batches as well. Add to each batch right before steaming.