These root vegetables are full of soil. So mom generally rubs them on a jute bag to get rid of the soil. She then peels them with vegetable peeler, cut them into small slices and immerse them in water. The recipe is similar to batatya talasani. Don't forget to make it in the coconut oil if you want that authentic Konkani flavor. Serve with plain rice, DaaLi tauy and nonche. I am home!
Root Vegetables Stir Fry
1/4 kg kook - Mangalore root vegetables
salt to taste
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
2-3 byadgi chilies, halved
few curry leaves (optional)
1 tbsp fresh coconut
1. Rub the veggies on a used jute bag to get rid of all the dirt.
3. Heat and iron kadhai or bogaLe (Konkani stir frying utensil). Add the ingredients for tempering.
4. As they sizzle, drain water completely from the potatoes by squeezing the slices - handful at a time.
5. Stir Fry till veggies are cooked.
6. Add salt to taste.
7. Garnish with coconut.
1. Any other oil of your choice can be used. But coconut oil definitely imparts the most authentic flavor.