Wednesday, June 15, 2011
Paachak means something that aids digestion. It's a mixture of ginger-lemon juice. You have to add some water as needed and serve chilled. For a different flavor, you can also add club soda instead of water.
Paachak - Ginger Lemon
1 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp ginger juice
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/2 tsp rock salt
few threads of saffron
1. Rinse, dry and squeeze lemon juice. Pass through a sieve and keep aside.
2. Rinse, dry and grate ginger. Squeeze juice and pass through a sieve. Set aside.
3. Boil together sugar, water, salt and saffron.
4. As it boils, switch off the gas. DO NOT COVER.
5. Let it cool down completely.
6. Now add lemon and ginger juice. Stir.
7. Store in an airtight bottle. Store in the refrigerator.
8. While serving, pour 1/4 cup juice mixture and add 3/4 cup chilled water or club soda. Serve chilled.
1. Pay close attention when the mixture comes to boil. It can boil over, messing up your cooking range with sticky, sugary water!! (been there, done that!!:-(
2. I use the leftovers of ginger to make ginger tea.
3. For making this recipe, I used about 6 big yellow lemons (to make 1 cup lemon juice) and 2" ginger.
4. You may need to adjust sugar per your liking.
5. I do not add any preservatives and hence it has to be used within 1 week. Do not forget to store in the refrigerator.
6. For a quicker version, just mix 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp ginger juice, a pinch of rock salt with honey or sugar. Add cold or warm water and serve.