Friday, June 10, 2011
I learnt this Kolhapuari style bharit from my friend. She uses smaller eggplants than one big bharta variety. It so happened that I had 3 small Italian eggplants at home. I decided to roast them and make this delicious bharit.
Kolhapuri Vangyache Bharit
कोल्हापुरी वांग्याचे भरीत
3 Italian eggplants or 1 big eggplant, roasted, peeled, mashed
1 onion, minced approx = 1/2 cup
1 tomato, chopped finely = 1/4 cup
2-3 green chilies, minced (more or less per taste)
2 tbsp minced cilantro/coriander leaves
salt to taste
1/2 lemon or per taste
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 sprigs curry leaves, torn
1/2 tsp chili powder
1. Roast the eggplants applying some oil. Allow them to cool. Peel and mash to pulp.
2. Add onions, tomatoes, chilies, cilantro and lemon juice. Mix.
3. Heat a small kadhai - preferably iron kadhai. Add oil. Add all the tempering except chili powder. As the ingredients start sizzling, switch off the gas. Stir in chili powder. Mix quickly and pour over the bharit.
4. Mix well and serve with bhakri
1. You can use mild chili powder such as paprika since the bharit already has green chilies.
2. If you do not prefer heat, slit the green chilies instead of mincing them.
3. Adjust the ingredients like onion, tomatoes, chilies etc per your liking and amount of eggplant pulp.
4. I have reduced the amount of oil substantially though, it is much more than I generally use.