Monday, May 30, 2011

Quinoa Dhondus

My friend from South America mentioned to me that they make a cake from Quinoa. Since I showed interest No - actually I pestered and begged - she got her cookbook. However, it was written in Spanish. With her help, I got the recipe. However, it had too many eggs. I wanted to come up with something without using eggs. I decided to make Dhondus using quinoa. My friend's recipe had instructed to use cooked quinoa for making cakes. Please note that this recipe results in a dense cake.

Here's what I did - 

Quinoa Dhondus
1/3 cup mashed bananas, overripe
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup yogurt
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
1/4 cup all purpose flour
A pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp cardamom powder

1. Rinse and cook quinoa per package instructions. Set aside to cool down.
2. Mix all the ingredients. Cover and keep aside for 15 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F
4. Grease a loaf pan.
5. Pour the batter and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Invert into a plate. Let it cool down. Cut into slices.

Note -
1. This recipe results in a dense cake.
2. I have used 1 1/4 cup cooked quinoa.
3. You can use a few drops of vanilla extract instead of cardamom powder.
4. The basic recipe of banana dhondus is here. Since I was experimenting, I added quinoa and all purpose flout till it reaches cake batter consistency. You can play around with your measurements.

Print Page


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs