Paneer Shashliks - (8 small skewers)
Indian Cottage Cheese Kabobs
16 chunks of Indian cottage cheese/Paneer
1 green bell pepper, cut into 24 squares
1 red bell pepper, cut into 24 squares
1 white or purple onion, peeled, cut into 24 squares
1/2 cup hung yogurt or Greek yogurt, whisked
1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1/8 tsp ajwain/owa/ajmo/carrom seeds
1/2 tbsp tikka masala powder or garam masala
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp paprika
salt if needed (check for salt content in the tikka masala powder)
A pinch of chaat masala
A pinch of amchoor powder
0. Chop bell peppers and onions into squares. Cut paneer into cubes.
2. Soak paneer pieces in the marinade.
4. Preheat oven to 375 F or heat the grill pan.
5. Thread paneer, bell pepper & onion chunks alternately on a wooden bamboo skewer.
8. Turn over and bake again for 10 minutes - if using oven.
9. If using grill pan, as I have used above, keep turning till uniform grill marks appear on the paneer chunks.
9. Sprinkle some chaat masala and/or amchoor powder before serving.
1. Check for salt content in the tikka masala before adding.
2. Adjust your own baking time depending on your requirements.
3. Any other grilling cheese may be used.