Anyways, when I go back to India, I will buy a new pack of kaarLe and will update this post.
KaarLa seeds powder
1 cup KaarLe
1 cup peanuts
1/2 cup puffed chana daal/Pandharpuri Daale
12 - 15 dried red chilies
2 small pieces of dried mango slices (from India or Indian stores)
salt to taste
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp sugar
1. Heat a cast iron kadhai/pan. Roast kaarla, peanuts, puffed chana daal, asafoetida and red chilies one after the other.
2. Take them out and keep separately to cool down. Make sure to peel off peanuts.
3. Roast dry mango slices quickly for a few seconds.
4. After all the ingredients are dried, grind the chutney along with salt, sugar and asafoetida.
5. Make sure to grind to a fine powder. However, take care not to grind for a long time resulting in buttery consistency.
1. You can increase or decrease the amount of red chilies per your taste.
2. Do not let any ingredient burn while roasting.
3. Do roast them individually, one after the other as roasting time is different for each ingredient.
4. Store in an air tight container. Store in a refrigerator.
5. KaarLe resembles black sesame seeds.