Sweet Pumpkin Puris
1 piece of butternut squash or pumpkin
1/4 cup grated jaggery
A generous pinch of salt
1 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup fine rava
Oil for deep frying
1. Pressure cook a piece of butternut squash or pumpkin. Peel and mash. Take care to remove the inside seeds and silky threads before cooking. My piece of butternut squash gave me 1 cup of mashed squash.
2. Add grated jaggery & salt to the mashed squash mixture. Start the gas. Keep on stirring till jaggery melts.
3. When mixture cools down a little and is easy to handle, add wheat flour and rava. Knead well.
4. Make 21 small balls. Heat oil to deep fry in a kadhai
5. Roll into puries. Deep fry till they puff up and are golden. Butternut squash or pumpkin adds a beautiful hue.
6. Drain on a kitchen towel. Serve hot puris with tea
1. Traditionally rice flour is used instead of wheat flour and gharges are patted on banana leaves before deep frying.
2. You can increase or decrease the amount of jaggery per your taste.
3. Do not add any water for kneading.
4. The above mixture gave me 21 gharges