Friday, May 6, 2011
Some recipes in my home are always referred to as my great grandmother's signature dishes. Vayanganna Bajji is one such recipe. It's baingan bhurta, South Canara way. I absolutely love it.
1 eggplant, roasted on coal or gas
1 small red onion
2 green chilies, chopped
salt to taste
1 tbsp cilantro, chopped (optional)
2 tbsp fresh coconut
1 tbsp coconut oil, smoking hot
1. Grease the eggplant and roast on a gas or charcoal flame.
2. Let it cool. Peel and discard the stem.
3. Mash the eggplant. Mix all remaining ingredients.
4. Heat coconut oil and drizzle over the salad.
5. Mix well.
1. You can also make a small well inside the salad. Place a peel of onion in the middle of the well. Keep a live charcoal and cover with a lid for few seconds. This gives smokey flavor. Take maximum caution while dealing with the hot charcoal.