I had one more recipe for Kolhapuri Chicken Curry in my draft. I had promised many readers that I would post it soon. So here it is -
Kolhapuri Chicken Rassa
Chicken Curry kolhapuri Style
1 1/2 lb boneless chicken, cut into bite sized chunks
6 baby potatoes, halved
1/4 cup yogurt (optional)
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp Kolhapuri masala/chutney
Grind to a smooth paste
3/4 cup coconut, roasted till brown
1/2 cup sliced onion, fry using oil till brown
1 tbsp Kolhapuri Masala (Use more if you dare!!:-D
1/4 cup cashews, unsalted & raw, roast for 2 minutes
1/4 cup sesame seeds, roasted
1 tbsp white poppy seeds, roasted
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp onion, chopped
1 tbsp minced cilantro (optional)
Lemon wedges, raw red onions
1. Marinate chicken and potatoes with yogurt if using and ginger-garlic paste and Kolhapuri masala. Refrigerate till ready to use.
2. Roast and grind the onion, coconut and other ingredients. Grind to a smooth paste adding little water.
3. Heat oil in a pressure pan or handi.
4. Add onion and saute till onion is soft.
5. Add marinated chicken & potatoes. Saute for 10 minutes.
6. Add ground coconut masala paste. Fry for 5 minutes.
7. Add 2 cup water. Bring to boil.
8. Cover the pressure cooker lid. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
9. Let the pressure drop of its own. Open the lid. Add salt and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
10. Garnish with cilantro if using.
11. Serve with suggested accompaniment
1. You can adjust the consistency of this curry to your liking. Make it dry or watery by adjusting the water content.
2. I use yogurt as a marinade for chicken. You can skip it if you don't want.