"Partun Bhajya" are very simple to make. All you need is the basic tempering, frying the veggies till crispy and making it in an iron kadhai (Indian wok). That's it.
Karlyachi Partun Bhaaji
कारल्याची परतून भाजी
Bittergourd stir fry
3 bittergourds, rinsed, scraped, seeds removed, cut into circles
1 tsp sugar
salt to taste
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1. Heat oil in an iron kadhai. Add tempering ingredients.
2. As they sizzle, add bittergourd pieces.
3. Keep on stir frying till bittergourd pieces are nicely crispy.
4. Add salt, sugar and chili powder.
5. After cooking, transfer the bhaaji in a serving bowl.
1. It needs more oil than usual to make the bittergourd crispy.
2. Always transfer to a serving bowl otherwise veggies will turn black if kept in iron kadhai after cooking.