Wednesday, April 27, 2011
I always have tricolor bell peppers in my refrigerator. Gudiya loves to snack on them. I cut them into strips and we call them "better than fries". Many times, I get half of bell peppers left. You may notice that many of my recipes call for half of red bell pepper/green bell pepper etc! Anyways, I had half each of the tricolored bell peppers and 1 big eggplant and a small slab of paneer. I decided to make an Indian stir fry.
Eggplant with Indian Cottage Cheese
1 eggplant, peeled and cut into strips
1/2 each of tricolor peppers, cut into strips
1/2 onion, cut into strips
1 cup paneer
1 tsp paprika or mild chili powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp coriander-cumin seed powder, preferably freshly made
A pinch of garam masala
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1. Heat oil in a kadai or a wok. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
2. Add all the veggies and paprika and coriander-cumin powder. Add salt.
3. Keep on stirring till veggies are cooked.
4. Add paneer pieces and garam masala.
5. Sprinkle some cilantro on top.
1. You can also sprinkle some amchoor powder or squeeze lemon juice.
2. You can also add a generous pinch of chaat masala for a twist.
3. If I use big eggplant for making curry or stir-fry, I peel it since peels are very thick and chewy.