Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Baingan Paneer


I always have tricolor bell peppers in my refrigerator. Gudiya loves to snack on them. I cut them into strips and we call them "better than fries". Many times, I get half of bell peppers left. You may notice that many of my recipes call for half of red bell pepper/green bell pepper etc! Anyways, I had half each of the tricolored bell peppers and 1 big eggplant and a small slab of paneer. I decided to make an Indian stir fry.

Baingan Paneer
Eggplant with Indian Cottage Cheese
Ingredients
1 eggplant, peeled and cut into strips
1/2 each of tricolor peppers, cut into strips
1/2 onion, cut into strips
1 cup paneer
1 tsp paprika or mild chili powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp coriander-cumin seed powder, preferably freshly made
A pinch of garam masala

Tempering
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder

Garnish
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
Method
1. Heat oil in a kadai or a wok. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
2. Add all the veggies and paprika and coriander-cumin powder. Add salt.
3. Keep on stirring till veggies are cooked.
4. Add paneer pieces and garam masala.
5. Sprinkle some cilantro on top.

Note -
1. You can also sprinkle some amchoor powder or squeeze lemon juice.
2. You can also add a generous pinch of chaat masala for a twist.
3. If I use big eggplant for making curry or stir-fry, I peel it since peels are very thick and chewy.



Print Page

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs