Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Aloo Paratha (1)



My maushi makes the best aloo parathas. I love to eat them with tomato ketchup. Whenever I am in a hurry, I make potato theplas as they are quicker to assemble. But aloo paratha is an ultimate comfort food.
 
Raja Foods in Jackson Heights, NY is a Punjabi restaurant in NY. When I first visited there, I was just mesmerized by the skills of the punjabi ladies rolling out fresh parathas.
 
Here, I have used my maushi's recipe. But my moushi makes smaller parathas. So I decided to go Raja foods way to roll out bigger ones.

Aloo Paratha
Potato Stuffed Flatbread
Ingredients
5-6 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled, mashed
1/2 tsp cumin seeds

Grind to a fine paste
4 cloves garlic
1"ginger, peeled, chopped
A handful of cilantro
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt to taste

Knead to a dough
2 cups wheat flour
water as need
salt to taste
1 tsp oil

You will also need,
rice or wheat flour for dredging
oil for roasting

Method
1. Mix green chutney with mashed potatoes. Stir in cumin seeds. Mix well. Cover and set aside.
2. Make a nice dough by kneading wheat flour, salt with water. Add 1 tsp oil and keep kneading till dough doesn't stick to your finger tips. Cover and set aside for 15 minutes.
3. Make 7 - 9 uniform balls of dough. Using little rice or wheat flour for dredging, roll out a thick disc.
4. Make 7 - 9 balls of potato stuffing. Place one ball on the rolled out disc. Bring all the corners together. Flatten the stuffed ball. Dredge into flour and roll out a thick and big paratha/flatbread.
5. Heat a griddle. Roast paratha till brown spots appear on both sides. Use oil as needed.
6. Repeat the same procedure with the remaining balls.

Note -
1. Based on the circumference, the count of parathas may vary.



Print Page

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs