Masoor Daal Ambat Varan
मसूर डाळीचे आंबट वरण
3/4 cup masoor daal
salt to taste
2 tsp jaggery
1/2 tsp tamarind pulp (ready made)
1 tsp roasted cumin power
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tbsp chopped onion
Grind coarsely or use mortar and pestle
2 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves
1 tbsp fresh coconut
2-3 green chilies (more or less per required heat level)
2 cloves garlic
1. Pressure cook masoor daal. Mash it lightly and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida , curry leaves sprig and turmeric powder.
3. As the seeds splutter, add chopped onion. Saute for till the onion is soft.
4. Now add coarsely ground paste and cumin powder . Saute for 2 minutes.
5. Add 1/4 cup water. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Add cooked daal, salt, jaggery, tamarind pulp and 2 cups water.
7. Bring to a rapid boil. Switch the gas to low. Let it simmer for 12 minutes.
8. Serve hot with plain rice & ghee.
1. 3-4 kokum petals can be substituted instead of tamarind pulp.
2. Toor daal can be used instead of masoor daal.
3. You can also add 1 chopped tomato if you like.
4. This recipe is vegan by itself. But it is enjoyed with a spoonful of clarified butter/toop/ghee.