Monday, March 7, 2011
I loved this bhaaji when I had it first at my friend's place. I had never tasted cluster beans with peanut powder (daaNyache KooT) before. You can use green beans or any other string beans of your choice instead of cluster beans.
Kolhapuri Gawarichi Bhaaji
Cluster beans with peanut powder
2 cups pieces of cluster beans, both ends removed and cut by hand into 2" pieces
salt to taste
1/2 cup roasted, unsalted peanuts, powdered/daaNyache koot
Grind to fine paste
3-4 garlic cloves
2-3 green chilies (use less or more)
1/4 cup cilantro/coriander leaves
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp coconut (optional)
1.Heat oil in a saucepan. Add the ingredients for tempering. As onion turns soft, add green paste.
2. Saute for 5 minutes.
3. Add gawar/cluster beans. Mix. Cover with a lid. Add water on the lid.
4. Let it cook stirring in between.
5. Once cooked, add peanut powder, salt and coconut - if using.
6. Serve with ghadichi poLi
1. You can steam cluster beans before hand to save time.
2. If you need to have a pinch of sugar/jaggery, add it along with salt.