Thursday, March 3, 2011
This chutney has a distinct flavor of hing or asafoetida. It goes very well with idlis and dosas.
3/4 cup freshly scraped coconut
salt to taste
Roast in 1 tsp coconut oil
4 byadgi chilies
Switch off the gas and add 1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp urad daal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida (Again!)
2 sprigs curry leaves, torn
1. Roast red chilies in coconut oil. Switch off the gas. add asafoetida. Stir till it sizzles.
2. Grind with coconut, salt and water as needed. Pour in a serving bowl.
3. Heat coconut oil in a small saucepan. Add tempering ingredients.
4. Drizzle the tempered oil over chutney.
5. Serve with dosa and chutney
1. Use any other oil of your choice. But coconut oil gives an authentic flavor.
2. Use chilies per your taste.
3. The consistency of chutney is not too thick not too thin.
4. You need to switch off the gas before adding asafoetida for roasting otherwise it may burn and will give bitter flavor.