Ghavane are lacy rice flour pancakes. They are served with coconut chutney or spicy curries. When I discovered the buckwheat flour in my fridge (Yes, I store it in the fridge!), I decided to make spicy version of Ghavane.
Buckwheat Flour Ghavane
1 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup flax meal/ground flax seeds
salt to taste
2 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 green chilies, chopped/minced
1/2" ginger, peeled & minced or grated
3 cups water (add more if needed)
Oil for shallow frying
1. Mix all the ingredients except oil
2. Heat a nonstick pan/griddle
3. Pour a ladleful of batter. Drizzle some oil around it. Cover and let it cook.
4. Flip and let it cook on the other side.
5. Proceed with remaining batter.
6. Serve hot with a chutney of your choice.
1. You can add some finely chopped onion to the batter if you like.
2. Make sure that the pan is hot to get the characteristic holes.