Thursday, March 31, 2011
Mom makes this bhaaji for the fasting days.
Pumpkin-Peanuts Stir Fry
1/3 cup raw peanuts, soaked in water for 2 hours
1 piece of pumpkin or 1 small butternut squash, peeled, cut into cubes - approx = 3 cups
salt to taste
2 tsp ghee/clarified butter/toop
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 green chilies, slit
1 tbsp scraped coconut
1. Soak raw peanuts (preferably from Indian stores) in water for 2 hours, drain and set aside.
2. Heat ghee in a saucepan.
3. Add cumin seeds and green chilies. As they sizzle, add peanuts. Fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add squash or pumpkin pieces. Saute for 5 minutes.
5. Cover the saucepan with a lid. Pour water in the lid. Let it cook on a medium flame till squash pieces are cooked.
6. Add coconut to garnish.
7. Serve with yogurt.
1. You can add 1 tsp grated, peeled ginger in tempering for a refreshingly different flavor.