I had some masoor sprouts in the fridge. So I decided to make these tariwale masoor (Punjabi Masoor Curry). In my opinion, since masoor is more mild and mushy than Rajma or chhole, use less amount of garlic cloves. I don't think Kapoor aunty cooked with masoor much but this is my version.
Black Lentils Curry
3 1/2 cups Masoor sprouts (or 1 cup dry masoor)
salt to taste
1 tsp garam masala (preferably homemade)
1 cup water
1/2 tsp coriander-cumin seed powder
Grind to paste
1 1/2 cup roughly chopped onion
3/4 cup roughly chopped tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp paprika or mild Chile powder
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
0. Pressure cook masoor and set aside.
1. Heat oil in a pressure pan/cooker. Add cumin seeds.
2. Add onion - tomato paste. Saute for 5 minutes. Add 3/4 cup water. Close the lid. Put on the pressure and cook till 3 whistles.
3. Let the pressure drop by its own. Now add cooked masoor, water as required, remaining spices and salt.
4. Bring to boil. Let it simmer for 10-12 minutes.
5. Garnish with cilantro
1. Traditionally, the onion-tomato paste is sauted for more than hour till the raw smell is completely gone and oil leaves the masala. I used pressure cooking technique to save on time.