Tuesday, February 15, 2011
I was planning to make idli but I found that I didn't have enough urad daal and brown rice. I decided to experiment something different. This Quinoa idli got generated. It did have a little quinoa taste, but we loved it with our Sambar and chutney.
3/4 cup urad daal
1/4 cup chana daal
1 1/2 cup brown basmati
1 1/2 cup quinoa
salt to taste
oil for greasing idli molds
1. Rinse daals and soak them in water overnight.
2. Rinse brown basmati. Soak in a separate container overnight.
3. Rinse quinoa. Soak in a separate container overnight.
4. Next morning, grind daals adding little water and set aside in a huge container.
5. Grind brown basmati with quinoa. Add to the ground daal paste.
6. Mix in salt. Cover and keep for fermenting for at least 8 hrs.
7. After the batter is fermented, grease the idli stand.
8. Steam idlies in pressure cooker or in a container.
1. This proportion gave me 35 usual idlies and 72 mini (silver dollar) idlies
2. If the batter is not fermented, use 1/2 tsp baking soda.