Thursday, February 17, 2011
Methi Chaman is a Kashmiri way of making Fenugreek leaves with paneer. This is my version.
Methi Chaman or Methi Paneer
Fenugreek leaves with Indian cottage cheese
1 bunch fenugreek leaves/methi, cleaned
1 bunch spinach/paalak, cleaned
Salt to taste
2 tsp Kashmiri Masala tikki
1 tsp Kashmiri Garam Masala
1 tsp paprika or mild chili powder
1 cup paneer chunks
1 tbsp oil or ghee/clarified butter
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup, chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1.Steam fenugreek and spinach leaves till they are wilted. Using hand blender, mash them quickly. I liked to have some texture. If you prefer, you can grind them to a smooth paste.
2. Heat oil/ghee in a saucepan. Add whole spices.
3. As they sizzle add onion and ginger-garlic paste. Saute for 5-7 minutes. Add tomatoes. Saute till tomatoes are mushy.
4. Add all masala powders. stir fry for 1 minute.
5. Add spinach-methi pulp and salt.
6. Adjust water. Do not make it too runny.
7. Bring to boil. Add paneer chunks.
8. Simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Serve with naan.
1. For richer flavor, you can deep fry paneer before adding to the curry. I do not fry paneer.
2. If you do not have kashmiri masala, then use usual garam masala.