Bread UsaL/Bhaaji/Vagharela bread/Breada usli
6 slices of white bread, torn by hand to small pieces approx 2 1/2 cups
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 green chilies, slit
1 sprig curry leaves, torn
1 small onion, chopped approx = 1/4 cup chopped
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tbsp fresh coconut
1. Heat oil in a wok or kadai.
2. Add all the ingredients for tempering. Saute till onion is soft. Sprinkle few drops of water from time to time
3. Add salt & sugar
4. Sprinkle some more water drops. Add bread pieces. Mix well.
5. Cover with a lid. Place some water on top.
6. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add coconut and cilantro.
8. Serve hot with lemon wedges and a cup of hot tea.
1. This snack should be soft and not crunchy. However, it should not turn mushy.