Monday, January 24, 2011
A simple stir fry from my MIL's kitchen.
Tindora Bataka nu Shaak
Ivygourds with potatoes
2 cups tindora/tondli/tendli/ivygourds, ends removed, sliced vertically
2 small potatoes, peeled, sliced vertically
1 tsp mild chili powder
1/2 tsp dhana-jiru/coriander-cumin powder
1/2 tsp sugar
salt to taste
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asaofetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
6-7 garlic cloves, peeled, siced vertically
1. Steam tindora and potatoes in a pressure cooker. Take care not to overcook the veggies.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add the ingredients for tempering.
3. Saute till garlic appears crispy but not burnt.
4. Add mild chili powder, coriander-cumin powder, salt, sugar.
5. Add veggies along with cooking liquid.
6. Cook for 7 minutes till all the liquid evaporates.
7. Serve hot with rotlies.
1. You can also cook the veggies in the saucepan itself instead of the pressure cooker. It will take more time. Add water and cover with a lid to cook.