Muth-Wadi nu Shaak
Moth beans with wadies
2 1/2 - 3 cups muth/matki/moth beans sprouts
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 tbsp jaggery (use more or less per taste)
1/2 cup water
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
1/3 cup moong or chora wadies
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Mash and set aside
1 tbsp Garlic pickle
2 tbsp Kasoori Methi, crushed by hand
1. Pressure cook muth sprouts, making sure not to overcook.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Fry wadies till they are crispy. Drain and set aside.
3. In the same oil, add mustard seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder.
4. Take the saucepan off the gas, stir in mashed garlic pickle. Stir it quickly. Add tomatoes and now return to the stove.
5. Saute till tomato is pulpy. Add cooked and cooled muth sprouts, water, salt and jaggery.
6. Add fried wadies. Let it cook for 5-7 minutes. Add more water if necessary.
7. Switch off the gas. Crush kasoori methi by hand and sprinkle over. Mix. Cover with a lid.
1. Remember to take the saucepan off the heat before adding garlic pickle. Otherwise the heat will burn the pickle spices and give a nasty flavor.