Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Just usual daily daal gets a kick by the addition of Garlic pickle!
1/2 cup toor daal, cooked and mashed
1 tsp jaggery (or to taste)
salt to taste
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Mash and set aside
1 tbsp garlic pickle
chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
Plain rice (preferably surti kolum)
1. Pressure cook toor daal adding adequate amount of water. Mash cooked daal and keep aside
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, turmeric powder, asafoetida.
3. As they sizzle, take the saucepan off the heat. Stir in mashed pickle. Give a quick stir.
4. Now return to heat. Add mashed daal and 1/2 cup water. Stir.
5. Add jaggery and salt to taste (Remember pickle already has salt in it)
6. When daal comes to boil, switch the gas to low. Simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
1. Take the saucepan off the heat before adding garlic pickle because all the spices in the pickle may burn.
2. You can adjust the consistency adding more water.
3. Pay attention while adding salt since pickle already contains salt.
4. This recipe serves 2 people.