Kobichya vadya (plural) is a delicious accompaniment with daily meal or can be served as a snack. Here's how my mom makes it.
4 cups finely grated cabbage/kobi/kobij/pattagobhi
1 small onion, chopped - about 1/2 cup
1 cup coriander leaves, chopped
2-3 green chilies, minced (optional)
1/2 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
1 1/2 cup besan/chickpea flour
1/8 tsp owa/ajmo/ajwain/ajowan/thymol seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chili powder (add more if you want spicier version)
2 tbsp. white sesame seeds
1/2 tsp garam masala (or per taste)
1 tbsp. coriander-cumin powder
1/2 tbsp. powdered jaggery
1/2 cup coconut milk (optional)
1/2 tsp baking soda
Oil for deep /shallow frying and greasing
1. Mix cabbage, onion, coriander leaves, green chilies - if using.
3. Add water gingerly - as needed - to make a thick batter like you would make for making pancake. Pour in a greased pressure cooker container.
4. Steam in a steamer or pressure cooker. If using pressure cooker, steam without using the weight.
6. Cut the cooled batter into squares or diamonds.
1. As always, when deep fried they will taste even better. But I prefer shallow frying to cut back on calories.
2. Sometimes, I use a combination of green and purple cabbage.
3. Chopped onion adds moisture to the batter. Add water gingerly.