1/2 cup basmati, rinsed, drained
1 1/2 cup mixed veggies
2 tsp Gujarati Garam Masala
1 tsp Coriander-Cumin seed powder
1 tsp paprika or mild chili powder
salt to taste
2 cups warm water
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 bay leaf
2 tsp green chili-ginger paste (or to taste)
1 tsp garlic paste (optional)
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp ghee/clarified butter
1. Heat oil in a saucepan.
2. Add all the whole spices for the tempering.
3. As the spices sizzle, add onion. Fry till onion is soft.
4. Now, add pastes. Saute for 1 minute.
5. Add drained basmati rice. Fr for 1 minute.
6. Add veggies and remaining powders. Fry for 1 minute.
7. Add water, salt and bring to boil.
8. Stir in lemon-sugar mixture.
9. Lower the gas to medium. Cover and let it cook.
10. Cook for 15 minutes or till rice is cooked.
11. Switch off the gas. Drizzle some clarified butter on top. Cover and set aside.
1. I generally use less rice and more veggies in my pulao recipes. For the traditional version, use 1 cup basmati and 1/2 cup veggies.
2. I used green beans, carrots, potatoes, green peas, yellow corn & colored bell peppers.