Sunday, January 9, 2011
There are many versions of batatyachi suki bhaaji in my mom's kitchen. This one is made with onion and garlic.
Batatyachi suki Bhaaji - 2 (With onion and Garlic)
बटाट्याची सुकी भाजी (कांदा आणि लसूण घालून )
Mashed potatoes with onion and garlic
5 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled, diced
1/3 cup minced cilantro/coriander leaves
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tbsp green chilies, minced
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/4 cup onion, minced
1/2 tbsp ginger -garlic paste
2 curry leaves sprigs, torn
1. Using clean hands, mash potatoes lightly. Add cilantro, salt, sugar, lemon juice and green chilies. It should not be a complete mush. At least 3/4th of the potatoes should be able to retain their shape. Mix well.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add all the spices & curry leaves. As they pop, add onion. Saute till onion is soft. Add ginger-garlic paste. Fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add potato mixture. Fry for 5 minutes till the potatoes are coated with turmeric.
4. Cover and let it cook on a low flame for 5 more minutes.
5. Serve with chapatis or roties.
1. This potato bhaaji tastes like the stuffing of batata vada.